Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Chocolate War Post-Reading

                     "Do I dare disturb the universe?" a quote from the novel Chocolate War by Robert Cormier.  Anyone can disturb the universe, even by one simple action.  In my point of view, this quote can have a big impact on someone because it can get stuck in their head and they start thinking about how everything might change if they make one decision.  This quote can help someone for better or for worse, because it can be good to help them make better choices but it can also be bad because they might over think some things and they will get anxiety.  The quote to me means that one choice can disturb the universe and it can impact your whole life, so before you make decisions you should first stop and think about how it will impact your life.
                       This quote relates to the novel because that's what Jerry asked himself when he was deciding whether to sell chocolates or not, he also has the quote on a poster hanging up in his locker.  It can also relate to the other people accepting assignments from The Vigils because they can either refuse to do it or accept it and both choices can change a lot of things in their universe.  At the end of the book, Jerry tells The Goober to never disturb the universe because it's not worth it.  If I went through the same things Jerry I would never want to disturb the universe either.
                       When I read this book, I never thought about the quote and I feel like I will start thinking about my choices more carefully now.  I also looked back at my past choices and how they affected me.  For example, by not going to the doctors when I felt sick one time, got me even more sick.  And so I thought back and thought about only if I went I would've gotten better quicker.  People my age and in high school can use this when thinking about their future.  They can make better decisions about school and a career and further investments in life.

1 comment:

  1. Great explanation! I think it is important to think about the consequences we are willing to accept before determining if we are going to try to disturb the universe. What "things" happened to Jerry that would lead him not to want to disturb the universe again? Grade: 94%

    ReplyDelete